Whether you’re an avid, experienced birdwatcher, hunter or you’re just starting out, buying a spotting scope is an excellent way to make your hobby more enjoyable and successful. If you’ve been thinking of getting a scope, you may be wondering if it’s better to have an angled or straight spotting scope. This article will help to explain the differences and give you some tips on how to choose the one that’s best for you.
- Angled scopes are a great option for taller users because they don’t have to be set as high on the tripod, making them easier and more comfortable to use while standing.
- Good for anyone who may be sharing a scope because they don’t require as much adjustment for people of two different heights.
- If you’ll be looking at a lot of birds in trees, you may prefer an angled scope because it is easier to adjust this type of scope to look upwards.
- If you’ll be using the scope with a car window mount, you’ll find that it’s easy to use for this purpose and many users prefer it for car window mounting to straight scopes, however, this is largely dependent on personal preference.
- If you’re looking for a good scope for digiscoping (using it with a digital camera to record distant images), you will find that it works well in this capacity.
- The straight scopes more closely mimic how our actual eyes work because there is a straight line in the eye piece, from the ocular lens to the objective lens. Many people find that this straight sighting makes it easier and more natural to use.
- If you expect to be viewing downward, such as tracking wildlife from a higher viewpoint, you will appreciate how easy it is to adjust the straight scope to view down.
- The straight scope also works well for digiscoping.
- Some people prefer a straight scope for car window mounting because it can move easier in confined spaces.
Finding the Best Scope for You
Both types of scopes use the same basic visual technology, so it is more a question of preference and what you’ll likely be using it for. Here’s an excellent video comparing the angled and straight spotting scopes:
If you love the outdoors and always keen for a closer look then you’re in the right place! Featuring a huge selection of binoculars, telescopes, spotting scopes, monoculars and night vision – Procular’s got you covered! Be sure to checkout our expert buyer guides to see which product is right for you: